Monday, August 8, 2011

Our Curriculum Choices for the year

I'm going to list these in order of how we do them in our personal homeschool

Scripture Study:  We are going thru the Book of Mormon this school year.  In my personal study I have been reading ahead of the family one chapter a night and using the Book of Mormon Institute Manual as a study guide for myself and by the next morning not only am I prepared to teach but I feel confident and I've had time to ponder on what I had read and what would be important for my family's specific needs.  We have been doing this for about a month now and I'm really enjoying this method of studying.

Character Building:  I have a list of daily responsiblities that are expected of each child everyday.  This list mainly deals with getting the house in order before we start our lessons for the day.  I'm including this as Character building, however in reality isn't life itself Character Building?  Anyhow, I rotate these responsibilities once a month on the 1st of every month.  It works well for our family so I'm keeping it!  hehe

Math:  I chose to give Math Mammoth a try this year.  So far I'm enjoying it.  Basically I'm using worksheets, but my kids seem to enjoy it and since some of them are struggling in certain areas I can pick and choose the specific areas they need  a little more focus on and then they know they can move on at their own pace.  I do have to print the worksheets but so far I'm finding that a good thing to do on my Friday free days.


Language/Spelling:  I'm really wanting to see an improvement in their spelling and so I went with All About Spelling.  I again have some struggling in this area and All About Spelling had rave reviews about it being great for remedial readers and beginners alike.  So I'm excited to begin this, I will let you know when we start how I like it.  

                   

History:  This is one of those areas I was not extremely worried about until the recent events with our country and how our Constitution is in Major Danger!!!!  Now I'm thinking that I'm teaching this but there are so many new things that I need to learn in order to keep my family updated that i don't know how I'm going to do it.  So Here is my goal.  I plan to teach my children all about their American History but doing various unit studies and Lapbooks.  I have found Lapbooks a great way to keep them interested in what I'm teaching them.  So far I've downloaded Lapbooks from Currclick by In The Hands of A Child.  I'm really grateful they have all the cutouts and info in them plus the links to websites and wonderful books to read along the way.  Also I'm going to try to squeeze in The Story of the World Series as a Bedtime book for our family. We will see how this goes.  Even if I only get it in 2 times a week.  They love those stories.



Science:  Another subject I just haven't focused on.  However I recently discovered  Supercharged Science.  And I signed up for month for $1 yesterday.  I will let you know how that goes.  It's an online science course where there are tons of hands on science experiments and teleclasses a couple times a month with an educated science teacher.  So Hopefully my oldest son will love this new piece of homeschool curriculum that I've chose.  Its $37/ month after my first month. 





Thanks for visiting our Blog and checking in on us!
Christina
Momofthecrazy4







No comments:

Post a Comment